- The Sixteen
- Harry Christophers, conductor
- Coro COR16169 (2CD set)
Famed for its interpretations of some of Handel’s most loved works, The Sixteen marks the start of its 40th anniversary season by releasing its first new Handel recording in five years.
Handel’s pastoral opera is a tale of love, tragedy and liberation. The libretto by John Gay, based on Ovid’s Metamorphoses (book XIII), tells of the eternal love between the mortal shepherd Acis and goddess Galatea and how it is doomed by the jealous cyclops Polyphemus.
Handel’s music beautifully demonstrates the pain and love in such beautiful, dramatic choruses as ‘Wretched lovers!’ and the grief felt by Galatea in ‘Must I my Acis still bemoan’.
Staying true to the premiere in 1718, just five singers and nine instrumentalists feature on this intimate recording.
2. O, The Pleasure Of The Plains! (Chorus)
3. Ye Verdant Plains (Galatea)
4. Hush, Ye Pretty Warbling Quire! (Galatea)
5. Where Shall I Seek The Charming Fair? (Acis)
6. Stay, Shepherd, Stay! - Shepherd, What Art Thou Pursuing? (Damon)
7. Lo, Here My Love - Love In Her Eyes Sits Playing (Acis)
8. Oh, Didst Thou Know The Pains - As When The Dove (Galatea)
9. Happy We! (Galatea, Acis)
10. Wretched Lovers! (Chorus)
11. I Rage — I Melt — I Burn! (Polyphemus)
12. Ruddier Than The Cherry (Polyphemus)
13. Whither, Fairest (Polyphemus, Galatea)
14. Cease To Beauty To Be Suing (Polyphemus)
15. Would You Gain The Tender Creature (Coridon)
16. His Hideous Love - Love Sounds Th'alarm (Acis)
17. Consider, Fond Shepherd (Damon)
18. Cease, Oh Cease (Galatea)
19. The Flocks Shall Leave The Mountains (Galatea, Acis, Polyphemus)
20. Help, Galatea! (Acis)
21. Mourn, All Ye Muses! (Chorus)
22. Must I My Acis Still Bemoan - 'Tis Done! (Galatea, Chorus)
23. Heart, The Seat Of Soft Delight (Galatea)
24. Galatea, Dry Thy Tears (Chorus)